Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Dialogue Workout 15


1.
A: You look worried. What’s the matter?
B: I’m having trouble with my sink.
A: Are you trying to fix it?
B: Yes, but it’s still leaking.
A: Maybe you should call a plumber.
B: You’re probably right.
2.
A: Ace Plumbing Company.
B: Hello. Do you fix kitchen sinks?
A: Yes, we do. What’s your problem?
B: My drain is stopped up. I can’t fix it.
A: We can send a plumber over there tomorrow morning. Is 9:30 AM okay?
B: Oh, that’s great. I’ll be here.
3.
A: This light doesn’t work.
B: Are you trying to repair it?
A: Yes. I’m trying to, but I can’t.
B: Perhaps you should call an electrician.
A: I want to, but I don’t know any electricians.
B: My friend Jose is a good electrician. You should call him.
4.
A: You looked concerned. What’s the problem?
B: This refrigerator doesn’t work.
A: I know why. That refrigerator is very old.
B: I guess we need a new one.
A: Maybe we can buy one on sale.
B: Macy’s has a sale this Saturday.
5.
A: I can’t talk. The bus is leaving.
B: You always almost miss the bus.
A: Because I don’t hear my alarm clock.
B: Maybe you need a louder one.
6.
A: Hello. Manager.
B: Hello? This is Jim Jones in Apartment #25.
A: Yes, Mr. Jones. How can I help you?
6. (continued)
B: My oven doesn’t work.
A: Okay. We’ll send someone to check it.
B: Thanks very much.
7.
A: I can’t fix your oven, Mr. Jones.
B: You can’t fix it? Why not?
A: I think we need to replace your stove.
B: Why do you need to replace it?
A: Your stove is too old. The parts are worn.
B: I hope you can replace it soon. I need a stove!
8.
A: Hello. May I speak to the landlord?
B: Speaking. How may I help you?
A: I have a leaky faucet in the bathroom.
B: You need to tighten the handle.
A: I did that. The faucet still leaks.
B: I’ll send a plumber over there immediately.
9.
A: I have another problem here.
B: Another problem? All right, what is it?
A: My front door doesn’t close.
B: I’ll send my brother over there right away.
A: I don’t want him. I want a carpenter.
B: My brother is a carpenter.
A: Oh, he is? That’s great.
B: I’m sure he can fix your front door.
10.
A: I’m sorry to bother you again.
B: What’s the problem this time?
A: It rained very hard last night, you know.
B: Don’t tell me. There’s a leak in your ceiling.
A: Yes. It’s very bad. I have to use a bucket.
B: I’m angry because the roof is only two years old.
A: Can you please do something about it?
B: I’ll send a roofer over there today.

0 comments: