Friday, September 11, 2009

Grammartalk 9, Page 1 - Gerunds

I avoid driving downtown whenever I can.















1.
A: Sylvia avoids driving downtown.
B: She doesn’t enjoy driving downtown? Why not?
A: She always has trouble finding a parking place.
B: I thought she was good at finding a parking place.
A: She’s good at finding a parking place, but she’s tired
of looking for one.
B: Personally, I can’t stand driving downtown.
2.
A: You keep talking about the weather, and it’s boring.
B: I’m interested in learning more about the weather.
A: But, I’m tired of hearing about the weather all the time.
Can’t we change the subject?
B: I’m sorry, I can’t stop talking about the weather. I think
it’s going to rain tomorrow.
A: Instead of talking about the weather, let’s discuss
politics.
3.
A: Did you hear about Spike? The police accused him
of robbing a jewelry store.
B: I’m sure he’s guilty of robbing it. He told me he was
planning on doing it.
A: He denied robbing the store, but they put him in jail
anyway.
B: He probably misses being with his friends.
A: Yes, and he dislikes eating prison food.
B: Personally, I couldn’t stand being in jail.
4.
A: He anticipates getting out of jail in a year.
B: I bet he’s looking forward to getting out.
A: He certainly is. He’s really tired of not being free.
B: He spends a lot time reading and writing so he can
pass his GED.
A: He also practices playing the guitar.
B: When he gets out, he won’t risk getting arrested again.
He’s going to obey the law.
5.
A: His girlfriend Tina admitted helping him rob the
store.
B: She was probably afraid of helping him.
A: Yes. And now she really regrets driving the car.
B: I thought she didn’t believe in committing crimes.
A: The problem is, she can’t help loving Spike.
B: But, her parents told her she must quit seeing him.
6.
A: Why do you insist on talking about politics?
B: I can’t have a conversation without talking about
politics. It’s so interesting.
A: But, it’s boring. You have a one track mind. Would you
mind changing the subject?
B: But I don’t complain about listening to your small talk.
A: I apologize for talking about small matters.
B: Thank you for apologizing. Now, let’s discuss the
recent election.
7.
A: Do you like to watch TV?
B: Yes, I enjoy watching TV. Watching TV is my favorite
way to relax.
A: I’m tired of watching TV all the time.
B: Is that why you avoid watching TV after work?
A: Yes, I can’t stand hearing the TV on all the time.
B: I’m excited about seeing the movie on Channel 9.
8.
A: Do you and your friends like to dance?
B: Yes, we enjoy dancing. Dancing is our favorite
recreation.
A: I practice dancing every day, but I’m still not a good
dancer.
B: I think you’re capable of being a great dancer.
A: Thank you for encouraging me.
B: Keep on dancing even though you’re frustrated.
9.
A: I’m sure you’ll enjoy working at The Big Name.
B: Yes. I’m looking forward to serving the customers.
A: You’re also responsible for sweeping the floor.
B: Nobody told me that. I object to sweeping the floor. I’m
a salesperson, not a janitor.
A: Aren’t you proud of working at The Big Name?
B: I thought I was in charge of selling clothes on this floor,
not sweeping it.
10.
A: I sometimes dream about becoming an acrobat.
B: You really want to risk walking on a thin rope?
A: I’m excited about performing in a circus.
B: You should quit thinking about doing that.
A: You can’t prevent me from dreaming about it.
B: I would worry about walking on a tight rope if I were
you.

0 comments: