Friday, September 11, 2009

Grammartalk 9, Page 2 - Gerunds Continued













11.
A: Does Michael like to visit his mother-in-law?
B: No, he can’t stand visiting her.
A: Why does he worry about visiting her? She’s very
nice.
B: He hates seeing his mother-in-law’s four cats.
A: Why does he object to being around her cats?
B: Whenever he sees them, he starts sneezing.
12.
A: Michael isn’t accustomed to being around cats.
B: Is that why he can’t help coughing and sneezing?
A: Yes. He should plan on getting an allergy test.
B: If he isn’t used to being around cats, he should get a
cat.
A: Then, he won’t ever be able to stop sneezing.
B: True, but he can’t avoid visiting his mother-in-law
forever.
13.
A: I can’t imagine buying an old house.
B: Why not? We’re considering buying the house at 320
Sycamore Street.
A: But, I’m not accustomed to painting and decorating.
B: Once you practice painting, you’ll find it’s not too
difficult.
A: Painting and redecorating are very time consuming.
B: It’s true. Once you start painting, you have to finish
painting. You can’t stop painting.
14.
A: How did you learn to swim so well?
B: Well, I started swimming when I was young.
A: I envy you. Personally, I’m afraid of swimming.
B: If you’re used to swimming, you stop being afraid of it.
A: I would like to practice swimming a few times.
B: Good. Don’t risk swimming in deep water at first.
15.
A: How did you learn to use a computer so well?
B: I practiced using a computer a lot in college.
A: So now you’re used to working with the computer.
B: I’m excited about using my computer all the time.
A: You never get tired of sitting at the computer?
B: No. Besides, I’m responsible for writing web pages.
It’s my job.
16.
A: I believe in working overtime. That’s why I don’t
quit working at 5 o’clock.
B: I don’t blame you for working hard. You need the
money.
A: I’m not concerned about getting home late.
B: Don’t you have trouble falling to sleep at night?
A: I never think about falling to sleep. It just happens.
B: How would you feel about starting early tomorrow?
17.
A: Starting early doesn’t bother me. What time?
B: 7:30 AM. You’re in charge of opening the office.
A: I will plan on being here at 7:30 AM sharp.
B: All right. You’re responsible for making sure the
computers are turned on.
A: Don’t worry. I’m very good at taking care of details.
B: You’re right. You’re very capable of doing excellent
work.
18.
A: How long have you been thinking about getting
married?
B: Well, I considered getting married years ago, but I
never did.
A: Getting married is a wonderful idea.
B: I was worried about getting married because I was
worried about money.
A: Don’t be afraid of not having money. It all works out.
B: Also, I’m accustomed to living by myself.
19.
A: I have a new cat. Her name is Sally.
B: Great news. You hesitated getting a cat for a long time.
A: Sally keeps on jumping on my lap.
B: That’s probably because she loves sitting on you.
A: She can’t help licking my hands and face.
B: I envy you. You should be proud of having a beautiful
new cat.
A: Sally taught me how to stop sneezing.
20.
A: I decided to postpone starting my own business.
B: But, starting your own business is a great idea.
A: I’m having trouble giving a name to the new store.
B: I suggest naming it the Saver Store.
A: Why do you insist on calling it that? Do you think
people will save money at my store?
B: Yes, and I’m sure they won’t mind saving money!

0 comments: